Everyone feels homesick when they go abroad without their family – even if you’re going for a week or a month. Homesickness is nothing to be ashamed off, everyone feels it. So below are some tips you can use to help!
- Pack a home comfort – this can range from a blanket to a photograph to a pair of shoes! Whenever you’re missing home, it is always comforting to have something to hug.
- Ask them to write you a letter – before I went away for a month to Tanzania, my parents wrote me 2 letters, one for while I was on the plane, and one for when I was feeling homesick. I loved reading those letters because I could picture my mum saying it and it comforted me lots.
- Stay healthy – I will be writing a blog post on this, but it is always a good idea to build up your immune system before you leave! And also, doing what you can to stay healthy while abroad. There is nothing worse then feeling ill away from home so try your best to avoid it!
- Be social, make friends – make as many friends as you can as they allow you to take your mind off your home. However, make as many friends as you can! I have made the mistake of only making one friend and then having a fight with them, and feeling lonely for the rest of my trip.
- Keep busy – You won’t have a chance to feel homesick when you’re learning and exploring.
- Remind yourself how lucky you are! – One thing that got me through my trips are reminding myself how its a ‘once in a lifetime experience’ and how much work I did to get there! Although it doesn’t curb the homesickness, it keeps you going!
- Keep in touch, if you can – Being able to speak to your family does make you feel a lot better, but try your best not to talk for hours every day as you need your time to explore!
- Create a routine – routine tends to remind people of home comforts and also allows for some stability.
- Take a break from social media – it is very easy to get caught up with finding out what’s going on at home but you’re here to explore a new place! So put that phone down and it also helps with the homesickness.
- Take lots of photos – you may be feeling homesick now, but you will want to remember this trip so document everything and take lots of photos!
I hope that you find these tips helpful. If you have any tips, comment it down below!